Christmas can be a stressful time of year and whether you’re heading away on holiday next week, or staying in town if you’ve got children you’ll be looking for ways to keep them happy and entertained over the school break.
Christchurch City Libraries has heaps of resources and recommendations to help out frazzled parents and caregivers this festive season.
Have kids, will travel
Going on a trip out of town? Long road trips (or air travel) can be a strain as boredom easily sets in. Get organised ahead of time with a range of activities and reading material to keep everyone occupied.
- Kids music CDs for the car stereo (it’s sadly true that as much as you personally might hate The Wiggles, you’ll hate it less than the sound of complaining and crying). Or try Little Boppers: Pop hits for kids, or Pop for Tots for something a bit less “toot toot, chugga chugga, big red car”.
- Kids audiobooks might be a slightly more palatable option. Listen as a family to favourites like Harry Potter, or download digital formats onto individual devices (with headphones). There’s something for every age group and taste.
- DVDs. If you travel with a portable DVD player, then we’ve got television favourites like Peppa Pig, Fireman Sam and Horrible Histories as well as a range of kid-friendly movies to kill time between rest stops.
- Books. Anything that’s likely entertain. Check out our Holiday reading guide for some ideas. But also consider the following –
- In a rush and choosing’s just too time consuming? Pick up a Stories To Go Bag. Each one has age-appropriate fiction and non-fiction books, a DVD, a music or story CD, and a toy or puzzle and come in a sturdy bag that’s ready to travel.
For Kids in Christchurch
There are a bunch of activities, places to go, and things to see for families staying in town over the holidays. As well as the music, books, and DVDs mentioned above you might like –
- Our Summertime Reading Club for kids 0-16 years, which starts today. Keep a tally of the minutes spent reading over the summer and go in the draw for prizes.
- Summertime Stories in libraries begin in early January, with sessions for both babies and older children.
- Our Learning Centre Holiday Programmes start mid-January. Check out our calendar for Holiday Programme classes.
For more information and links to kids’ activities and organisations in Christchurch read our Holiday programmes, events, and activities page.
Coming soon to Central Christchurch
Have you got any tips or recommendations for entertaining kids over the holidays? If so, please share.