The dates for Te Wiki o Te Reo Māori (Māori Language Week) this year are 4 – 11 Hōngongoi (4-11 July) and this year the theme is –
Te reo tautoko – behind you all the way
The phrase “Ākina te reo – using the Māori to show support” is also being used as part of the campaign which includes celebrity ambassadors like Canterbury’s own Andrew Mehrtens making more of an effort to improve their te reo skills.
Te Reo Māori i Te Whare pukapuka – Māori Language at The Library
Christchurch City Libraries – Ngā Kete Wānanga o Ōtautahi will be celebrating Te Wiki o Te Reo Māori with special bilingual storytimes throughout the week. See our events calendar for one near you.
The Wā Kōrero (Storytime) session at New Brighton will have a special guest performer in Kitty Brown, co-author of a series of te reo Māori board books for children.
We’re also hosting a special event on The History of Te Reo Māori in Children’s Publishing on Thursday, 7 July at Fendalton Library.
But there’s no need to attend a special event to add te reo Māori to your library experience -why not simply try out the reo Māori option on our self checkout machines?
Ngā Rauemi Te Reo Māori – Māori Language Resources
Whaowhia te kete mātauranga – Fill the basket of knowledge
There are many, many resources available for anyone wanting to improve their te reo Māori knowledge. Here are some suggestions for filling your basket.
- Te Reo Māori resources A list of resources in our libraries and online for learning Te Reo Māori.
- Te Reo Māori courses Search CINCH for community courses in the greater Christchurch area.
- 100 Māori words every New Zealander should know This useful resource includes sound files of the words being read out from nzhistory.net.nz.
- Video clips and language learning resources from Ngai Tahu’s Generation Reo.
- Māori words and phrases from Māori Language.Net, includes commands, phrases to use with children, months of the year, greetings and more.
- SuperValue and Fresh Choice supermarkets have te reo posters and colouring in which you can download and print at home.
Hākinakina – Sports
- 50 fun catchphrase flashcards (3.4 MB PDF) Cheer on your team in a uniquely Kiwi way with these phrases from Te Taura Whiri i Te Reo Māori (The Māori Language Commission)
- Ākina Te Reo calendar (1.6 MB PDF) features NZ sporting heroes and important dates in the NZ sporting year.
- Sports phrases from Māori Television
- Information about the haka performed by the All Blacks and videos.
Ngā Rauemi mō Ngā Tamariki – Children’s Resources
- Te Reo Māori resources for kids
- Our bilingual Ready for Reading book “Te Wā Kōrero – Storytime” [22MB PDF]
- Māori songs for children
- Non-fiction in Te Reo Māori
- Children’s books in Te Reo Māori
- Books on vocabulary for children