New Zealand books this year show a stunning range of covers. This is my pick of the year’s top covers.
- Fonts and typefaces are being used to striking and singular effect.
- Art books may have the advantage when it comes to a stylish cover, but even textbooks can make the cut.
- Sometimes words are enough (see Geoff Cochrane and Sarah Jane Barnett).
- Simplicity is powerful ( see Kobi Bosshard, Erewhon calling, and Simon Sweetman’s On Song)
- Retro is popular – especially 60s and 70s.
Are there any standouts for you?
More book cover delights:
- Matching your swimsuit or nailpolish to your book cover is so hawt right now.
- 2012 50 covers/50 books winners
- The Atlantic’s “25 of the Most Wonderful Book Covers of the Year” (YA books)
- Check out PANZ’s Book Design Awards for lovely local examples.
- Inveterate book sniffers will love Book cover archive.
- The Pelican Project – classic Pelican covers.
One thought on “Best book covers of 2012 – New Zealand’s finest”