Messrs Minson & Co.’s Premises, Colombo Street, Christchurch: Picturing Canterbury

Messrs Minson & Co.’s premises, Colombo Street, Christchurch [1898]. File Reference CCL PhotoCD 6, IMG0020.
This was for many years a leading Christchurch crockery and glassware store. It was opened on 1 Jan. 1857 in Colombo Street by William Neeve, an ironmonger, who owned it for 16 years before selling it to John Hallifield Spencer in 1873. Later owners were James Mortlock and Thomas Hudson who traded as Mortlock and Hudson. In 1892 William Minson took over the business, renaming it Minson and Company. The shop was situated at 220 Colombo Street, Sydenham.

Do you have any photographs of former Christchurch businesses? If so, feel free to contribute to our collection.

Kete Christchurch is a collection of photographs and stories about Christchurch and Canterbury, past and present. Anyone can join and contribute.

Messrs Minson & Co.’s Premises, Colombo Street, Christchurch

Simpson & Williams, 238 High Street, Christchurch: Picturing Canterbury

Simpson & Williams, 238 High Street, Christchurch [1925]. File Reference CCL PhotoCD 6, IMG0007.
This store advertised itself as “The busy booksellers, stationers and printers “. Envelopes, writing paper, pen and ink were provided free. Stamps could be purchased here, as could postcards of local and New Zealand views, magazines, etc.

The business had its origins in a printing and stationery firm, founded in 1862 by J.T. Hughes which, in 1878, was purchased by Alfred Simpson and J.S. Williams. The store remained in operation until 1972, with the printing business closing in the following year.

Do you have any photographs of High Street shops? If so, feel free to contribute to our collection.

Kete Christchurch is a collection of photographs and stories about Christchurch and Canterbury, past and present. Anyone can join and contribute.

Simpson & Williams, 238 High Street, Christchurch

Photo Hunt October: Interior of Terminus Convenience Store, Opawa, 1980s

Interior of Terminus Convenience Store
Entry in the 2012 Christchurch City Libraries Photo Hunt. PH12, img104, Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License.

Interior of Terminus Convenience Store, 134 Opawa Road, sometime between April 1986 and April 1989. Italian owner behind counter.

Christchurch City Libraries has been running an annual Photo Hunt in conjunction with the city’s Heritage Week since 2008.  The 2016 Photo Hunt is running again from 1 – 31 October. During the month of October we will be posting a series of images from earlier Photo Hunts.

Enter the 2016 hunt online or at your local library.

Kete Christchurch is a collection of photographs and stories about Christchurch & Canterbury, past and present. Anyone can join and contribute.

J.E. Bashford, Luncheon Rooms

Another digitised item from our collection for Records and Archives Week, this one from 1878:

J.E. Bashford, Luncheon Rooms

The text reads, in part: Triangle, Colombo Street

Tea, Coffee and Cocoa always ready. A large & varied stock of confectionery, bride and christening cakes… of superior quality, chaste and elegant in design.

T.M. Gee, Fancy Bread & Biscuit Baker

It’s Records and Archives Week. Here’s an item from the from the Southern Provinces Almanac series.
T.M. Gee, Fancy Bread & Biscuit Baker

The text reads:

T.M. Gee, Fancy Bread & Biscuit Baker, General confectioner and Ginger beer manufacturer, Canterbury Street, Lyttelton. T.M.G wishes to inform the public that he has opened a shop in London Street…for the sale of Confectionery… Where a stock of JELLIES, FRUIT PIES, CUSTARDS, SANDWICHES, GINGER BEER and LEMONADE, will always be on hand.