The Majestic Theatre in Christchurch was designed by the firm S. and A. Luttrell for John Fuller & Sons Ltd.
Early reportage (from Papers Past) shows that the new theatre was a big project:
- New Theatre. Majestic in Christchurch. Sites being cleared. Auckland Star, Volume LIX, Issue 293, 11 December 1928, Page 5
- New Fuller Theatre to cost 45,000 pounds. Auckland Star, Volume LIX, Issue 299, 18 December 1928, Page 8
The Majestic opened 1 March 1930. The movie theatre was a venue for “talkies” as sound became a part of cinema. Majestic House also had office space and housed the Department of Labour.
1962 – you can see the Majestic to the right of this photo.
The Beatles played at the Majestic in 1964. After 1970, the theatre became a night club. In more recent times, it was home to a church.
The Majestic is being demolished.
Saturday 10 May 2014. 2014-05-10-IMG_0201
Read (and see) more:
- More photos of the Majestic and its demolition
- Our blogpost on S. and A. Luttrell architects
- The Majestic Theatre – a set of images on DigitalNZ.
- Going soon – The Majestic Theatre Garden City Deco
- Ann McEwan. ‘Luttrell, Alfred Edgar and Luttrell, Edward Sidney’, from the Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Te Ara – the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, updated 6-Nov-2013
- From Cottages to ‘skyscrapers’: The Architecture of A.E. & E.S. Luttrell in Tasmania and New Zealand M.A. Thesis by A.E. McEwan
- The Majestic Theatre Canterbury Heritage
- The Majestic Theatre High Street Stories
- The Royal Exchange Lost Christchurch
- Search for Luttrell on the NZ Historic Places Trust site.