There is a new park in town on Hereford Street – Nature Play Park – Papatākaro Ao Tūroa. This Department of Conservation has established the garden is a partnership project with Greening the Rubble Trust and it has been supported and sponsored by other businesses and organisations.
As part of FESTA Festival of Transitional Architecture, there was face painting, weta handling and more at the park on Saturday 26 October 2013.
The club for women cyclists was formed in August 1892. The women met with some opposition from the public as they cycled around Christchurch and at time brothers of the women accompanied them on outings to ward off attacks by stone throwers. The club closed in 1897 by which time public attitudes to women cyclists had changed.
Circa 1944-45: “Christchurch nursing sister Beatrice Clarkson, 1894-1983 (far right) with staff of ambulance train 301. Location either England or France. Beatrice and her two sisters, Frances and Susan, left NZ in the 1920s and nursed in the USA, Pacific Islands and Europe, mostly private nursing until WW2. They returned to NZ in 1949 and ran the popular Pamela Cake Kitchen in Strowan Road where the Shell station now stands.”