Volunteering is a rewarding way to make a difference in your community. Here is some information from Volunteering New Zealand on National Volunteer Week 2017.
This year’s theme is:
Live, laugh, share — Volunteer
Kia ringa hora: Me mahi tūao
National Volunteer Week (NVW) 2017 will be held from 18 to 24 June. This positive message is about celebrating what volunteers bring to their communities. It is important to recognise volunteering and the place it has in keeping our communities strong and healthy.
Volunteering New Zealand
- Volunteering New Zealand website
- National Volunteer Week website
- Like VolunteeringNZ on Facebook
- Follow VolunteeringNZ on Twitter
Local voluntary organisations
- Volunteering Canterbury
- Supports and promotes the work of volunteers and voluntary organisations. Search volunteering opportunities and register online.
- Student Volunteer Army
- SVA was set up following the quakes of 2010 and 2011. Its focus is on encouraging young people to volunteer.
- Gap Filler
- Gap Filler creates activities in the vacant sites of our city and welcomes volunteers.
- Places to volunteer
- Search the libraries’ CINCH database for information about volunteering and voluntary organisations.
The international Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is the world’s largest humanitarian movement. New Zealand Red Cross has a team of over 20,000 volunteers. Volunteer for Red Cross New Zealand.
Volunteer Service Abroad
Volunteer Service Abroad sends Kiwis to aid projects in different parts of the world. They offer long-term, short-term and youth volunteering opportunities in countries within the Pacific, Asia and Africa.
WWOOF (Willing Workers on Organic Farms)
Volunteer on organic farms with people who are looking for volunteer help. In return for volunteer help, WWOOF (Willing Workers on Organic Farms) hosts offer food, accommodation and opportunities to learn about organic lifestyles. Wwoof.org has a directory of WWOOF networks in different countries.
- Volunteering resources at your library.
- givUS New Zealand funding information for voluntary organisations from hundreds of schemes.
- giveME Search for awards, scholarships and grants for school, study, research or professional development.
International Volunteer Day is observed globally on 5 December.