Matariki – the Māori New Year – will take place on Pipiri 6 June 2016. During Matariki we celebrate our unique place in the world. We give respect to the whenua on which we live, and admiration to our mother earth, Papatūānuku.
Our theme for Matariki 2016 is Akoranga: Teaching and learning – Te Kete Aronui: Third kete of knowledge.
Matariki Community Art Project in the Library
Come along to any library and learn about Te Kete Aronui. Take part in fun, Matariki-themed art and craft activities. Add your work to the community art space or take it home with you.
Matariki Wā Kōrero – Matariki Storytimes
Join us and share stories, rhymes and songs themed around Matariki.
Suitable for tamariki aged 2 to 5 years. Sessions are 30 minutes with an art activity to follow.
See our list of Matariki Wā Kōrero – Matariki Storytimes.
Matariki storytime at Te Kete Wānanga o Ōraka. Shirley Library. Monday 16 June 2014.
Whānau Fun Day at Rehua Marae – Saturday 25 June
Lots of creative fun – workshops, stalls, and waiata for the whānau to enjoy:
- Mahi Toi (art) Workshops (bookings essential),
- Māori Mākete (stalls – arts and crafts, and food (you can pre-order hangi),
- Art exhibition,
- Kapa haka – four of Christchurch’s top five haka groups
- Guest speakers including: cultural mapping from Takerei Norton of Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu, Hale Compound Conditioning (HCC)
10am to 4pm
79 Springfield Road
Browse all our Matariki events.
Other local Matariki events
Matariki in the Zone – Sunday 19 June at Anzac Drive Reserve
A Matariki event hosted by the Avon-Ōtākaro Network:
Come along to the red zone on the east side in Anzac Drive Reserve to celebrate Matariki.
- Learn about weaving and make poi out of natural materials
- watch carvers
- learn about the environment and whitebait
- make a little waka out of raupo reeds (mokihi) to take home
- view the kids art exhibition and colour in or draw something to add to the art mural
- grab some hangi and soup for free.
Subscribe to the Facebook event for more information.
Matariki resources at your library
- Explore our page on Matariki.
- Read our page on Matariki for kids.
- Find more information on Te Ao Māori and Te Ao Māori for tamariki.
Matariki colouring in
Download these colouring in pages.
- Mana [29KB PNG, 180KB PDF]
- Places [39KB PNG, 224KB PDF]
- Mātauranga [77KB PNG, 214KB PDF]
- Ngā mahi hou [59KB PNG, 200KB PDF]
- Whānau [62KB PNG, 398KB PDF]
- Matariki shapes [90KB PNG, 204KB PDF]
Posters and flyers
Matariki Festival at Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre – Saturday 11 June
Don’t miss this free, family fun day! Storytelling, Science Alive Star Dome, arts, crafts, 3D printing, virtual reality, kapa haka and more! Find out more.
11am to 2pm
Mohoao and Hao function rooms
Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre
341 Halswell Road
Subscribe to the Facebook event.
It is the fun time……… nice one.