Each week during term time (except the first and last week) the team from Science Alive bring their Science Snippets sessions into our libraries. Excellent Science Alive educators lead children through interactive activities to stimulate their interest in science, and there is something to take home every week! There is a different theme for each session and this coming week from Monday 23 May it’s Hidden Gems.
You are sure to learn all about gems, rocks and minerals and do some fun experiments. Here are some great nonfiction books that we have in the library if you want to learn more about gems, rocks and minerals:
- The Rock and Gem Book by Dan Green
- Crystal and Gem by R.F. Symes (also available as an eBook – Eyewitness Crystal and Gem)
- Everything Rocks and Minerals by Steve Tomecek
- Rocks and Minerals by Caroline Bingham
- Rock and Fossil Hunter by Ben Morgan
- Search the catalogue for Gems – Children’s Nonfiction
- Search the catalogue for Minerals – Children’s Nonfiction
- Search the catalogue for Rocks – Children’s Nonfiction
Here are some stories about gems, rocks and minerals to read too:
We also have some fantastic eResources with heaps of information about gems, rocks and minerals. Check these out:
- National Geographic Kids – searches for ‘rocks,’ ‘minerals,’ and ‘gems’ gives you some great information from the National Geographic Kids magazine as well as access to several eBooks about rocks and minerals.
- Britannica Library Kids – searches for ‘rocks,’ ‘minerals,’ and ‘gems’ gives you information about each of these topics, with different levels of information for different ages.
- World Book Kids – a search for ‘rocks,’ ‘minerals,’ and ‘gems’ gives you some basic information about each of the topics, along with some suggestions for other topics you might like to look at for more information.
For more information about Science Alive’s Science Snippets check out Science Alive on our website.