28 September 1864
Re-built Victoria Bridge opens. It is probably the country’s first iron and stone bridge.
29 September 1978
Friendship Corner opens by the Bridge of Remembrance. After a heated public debate over whether the area should be used for parking, the Council decided to plant the area with trees representing Christchurch’s sister cities.
30 September 1972
New Town Hall complex and James Hay Theatre (designed by Warren and Mahoney) opens. Ferrier Fountain commissioned.
1 October 1948
City Council takes over Canterbury Public Library from University.
1 October 1953
Over 3000 hectares of Waimairi (showgrounds area), Heathcote (Bromley area) and Estuary included in City.
2 October 1916
Opawa joins city.
3 October 1988
Park Royal Hotel opens in Victoria Square.