This year, Neighbourhood Trust will be running Parenting Week from 24 to 30 August at various locations around Christchurch. A week of guest speakers, workshops, seminars and activities: there is bound to be something for you.
The programme includes sessions on:
- healthy eating, with suggestions for healthy lunch boxes;
- ‘How to respond to children’s emotions and get them to do what they are told‘ with counsellor, family therapist, speaker and author Diane Levy;
- brain development from infancy through adolescence with Director of Training for the Brainwave Trust Nathan Wallis;
- strategies to deal with post-quake anxieties;
- parenting teenagers by Toughlove;
- how to stay on top of family finances, and how to improve relationships between couples.
Children are not left out. On Wednesday, 26 August, our wonderful Families Outreach Librarian Lynette Griffiths will be at the Richmond Mothers and Bubs Group. On Thursday, 27 August, parents and children can learn to weave at Te Pauwaitanga Ki Otautahi Trust or visit the Migrants Parenting Expo. There will also be a special Young Parents Expo.
The week concludes with The First Ever Parenting Week Dinner. Enjoy dinner while listening to guest speaker John Cowan, from The Parenting Place in Auckland, and host of Newstalk ZB’s programme ‘Real Life’, speak on ‘The tricky bits of parenting: Parenting styles that help build resilience in difficult times.’
- Reading lists of books to read to your children
- Browse our resources for parents and families
- Find out about building literacy skills at home
For more information about events for families and services for parents available at our libraries, check our Parenting Week page.