Te Kupu o te Wiki – The Word of the Week

Kia ora. To celebrate Te Reo Māori we are publishing kupu (words).

Kīwaha (colloquialism)

Te āhua nei.
It certainly looks that way.

Kupu (word)


He kererū, he kea rānei te manu rā?
Is that bird a kererū or a kea?

This week in Christchurch history (27 April to 3 May)

27 April 1872
Railway north open to Kaiapoi.

28-29 April 1983
Visit of Prince and Princess of Wales.

29 April 1974
Cr. David Caygill, aged 25, becomes the city’s youngest ever acting Mayor (for 5 days).

30 April 1875
New library building completed on the corner of Cambridge Terrace and Hereford Street. Designed by W.B. Armson, the building was demolished following the 2010-2011 earthquakes.

The Library buildings pictured from the Hereford Street bridge, 1897.
The Library buildings pictured from the Hereford Street bridge, 1897. Christchurch City Libraries, CCL PhotoCD 6, IMG0080

30 April 1971
6,000 protesters march against the war in Vietnam.

1 May 1975
Canterbury University completes its move from city to Ilam campus.

2 May 1872
New St Michael’s Anglican Church opens.

St. Michael's Church, Christchurch [ca. 1885]
St. Michael’s Church, Christchurch [ca. 1885], Christchurch City Libraries, CCL PhotoCD 12, IMG0080

3 May 1851
George Gould opens shop in Christchurch. The business eventually became part of Pyne Gould Guinness and Co.

3 May 1985
6,000 Christchurch citizens rally against the All Black tour of South Africa.

More April and May events in the Christchurch chronology: a timeline of Christchurch events in chronological order from pre-European times to 1989.