The Bridge of Remembrance is one of Christchurch’s great landmarks – redolent of days of war, marching troops, and fallen soldiers. It was officially opened by Viscount Jellicoe of Scapa, Armistice Day 11 November 1924.
The Bridge means more than war. It has fulfilled its name, and is a place of remembering. Christchurch’s Earthquake Memorial will be situated near here.
We have in our digital collection Christchurch War Memorial: Bridge of Remembrance. It explores the Bridge’s history and symbolic features.
The booklet contains extracts from the address of J. Wyn Irwin, of the Bridge of Remembrance Committee at the opening ceremony.
The Memorial originated from a letter written to the Press on July 24th, 1919, by a Christchurch lady. She suggested it might be appropriate to erect a beautiful memorial in the shape of a Stone Arch and Bridge, bearing the inscription, “Bridge of Remembrance.” She recommended placing it over a site made sacred and historic by its association with the departure of the Canterbury troops.
As a Bridge spanning the banks of the river it should remind us of
the brief span of human existence, and of the Great Beyond.
It serves this purpose still.
- Read our page on the Bridge of Remembrance
- View historic images of the Bridge of Remembrance in our collection
- Our photos of the Bridge on Flickr
- Images on Kete Christchurch
- Public Art in Central Christchurch: Bridge of Remembrance – information on the Bridge and its history from this publication locating and documenting publicly owned works of art in central Christchurch.
- Search the catalogue for items about the Bridge of Remembrance