Viola Aotearoa features virtuoso presentations of modern New Zealand repertoire for viola, including three previously unrecorded works.
A New Zealander by birth, Timothy Deighton is Assistant Professor of Viola at Penn State University. He maintains a busy performing schedule as a soloist, chamber, and orchestral musician, and is very active as a teacher and clinician.
Having long held a fascination for new music, Deighton has performed American, European, and international premieres of numerous works by contemporary composers, several of which were commissioned by or written for him.
- Pacific Rock for Solo Viola by Martin Lodge
- Three Songs for Baritone and Viola by Douglas Lilburn
- Duo Capriccio for Violin and Viola by Martin Riseley
- Recitative II for Viola and Percussion by Leonie Holmes
- Sonata for Solo Viola by Anthony Watson
- Viola Concerto by Anthony Ritchie