Have you ever wanted to come to the library in your pyjamas? Next week you’ll get the chance to do just that when Christchurch City Libraries celebrates the New Zealand Post Book Awards for Children and Young Adults Festival. The Festival, which runs from 17-25 May, gives children, young adults, and their families the chance to celebrate the finalist books, authors and illustrators at various events around the country.
Here in Christchurch we are running Books Before Bedtime Pyjama Parties at Papanui, Shirley and South Libraries, where children and their families can come to the library after dark and enjoy stories, craft activities and have fun with iPads.
For teens and adults we also have The Great NZ Children’s Book Quiz, a fun night where you and your friends can test your knowledge of the book awards and this year’s finalists.
One of my favourite events during Festival week is visiting local primary schools to read and promote the finalist books. As well as encouraging children to read the wonderful finalist books, we also give away heaps of books and other goodies, including holographic bookmarks. It’s tonnes of fun and the children always enjoy it.
We hope to see you at one of our events next week.
- Check out the library events calendar for details of the Pyjama Parties
- Explore the Festival events calendar for details of the Book Quiz.
- Read the New Zealand Post Book Awards for Children and Young Adults finalists
Here are the Picture book finalists
- Machines and me: Boats Catherine Foreman
- The Three bears, sort of Yvonne Morrison
- The Boring Book Vasanti Unka
- Toucan can Juliette McIver, illustrated by Sarah Davis
- Watch Out, Snail! Gay Hay, illustrated by Margaret Tolland