There’s lots of rubbish on display at South Library!
Well, once upon a time, some of it may have been rubbish. Now, however, the broken crockery, old bottles, fragmented clay pipes and fragmented porcelain dolls are important clues to historic lives in Christchurch.
Demolition of buildings built prior to 1900 requires an archaeological survey and sign-off as a requirement under the Historic Places Act. Consequently, archaeologists from Underground Overground Archaeology have been finding lots of interesting artefacts that show us how people lived in Christchurch – back when Europeans were relatively recent immigrants to this country.
The display is at South Library, 66 Colombo Street, Beckenham at least until mid March.
February 10, 1864
First Council artesian well drilled at the corner of Tuam and High Streets. It gushed to a height of 3 or 4 metres above ground level.
February 10, 1913
News reaches Christchurch of the Scott expedition’s fate. The city’s special relationship with the expedition caused deep mourning over the tragedy.
February 11, 1843
Deans, Gebbie and Manson families sail from Wellington on the “Richmond” to settle at Riccarton.
February 16-17, 1963
Visit by the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh. The New Brighton trotting course was bought by the City and re-named Queen Elizabeth Park in her honour.
February 16, 1770
Captain James Cook in the “Endeavour” sights Banks “Island” (Peninsula).
February 16, 1883
Belfast Freezing Works (the first in the Christchurch area) begin operation.
The first house on the Canterbury Plains, Riccarton [ca. 1890]
A timeline of Christchurch events in chronological order from pre-European times to 1989.
More January and February events in our Christchurch chronology.