Our Central Library Tuam is closing for good in under a fortnight. It closes its doors on 6 pm, 1 November 2013 to make way for the new Justice and Emergency Services Precinct.
Things to know
- Books borrowed from Central Library Tuam can be returned to any city library.
- From 1 November holds previously placed for pick up at Central Library Tuam will be available from Central Library Peterborough (91 Peterborough Street). You can change your holds pickup location in the catalogue too.
What will be at Central Library Manchester?
When it opens in late January, it will house the following collections:
- Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Nga Pounamu Maori
- Local Government (historical agendas, minutes)
Family History resources currently split between the Central Libraries Tuam and Peterborough will be consolidated at Central Library Manchester. They include electoral rolls, microfiche newspaper files, and telephone and business directories.
Central Library Manchester will also offer:
- General fiction, nonfiction, best sellers and biographies
- Large print and talking books
- Graphic novels
- Young adult titles
- 80 Magazine titles
- Newspapers (primarily NZ titles)
Due to limited space at Central Library Manchester there will be no children’s section (Central Library Peterborough will have an extended children’s area ).
The DVD and CD collections will be reduced.
What will be at Central Library Peterborough?
- World languages and ESOL material will now include Asian language items previously at Central Library Tuam.
- Music scores
- Extended Children’s collection
- Extended CD collection.
Motor vehicle manuals will be held in storage but can be requested for use at Peterborough.
New Central Library
The two temporary inner city libraries will continue to service the inner city until a new Central Library is built. Sited in Gloucester Street with a Cathedral Square frontage it is due to open in 2016/2017 and the Christchurch City Council will give residents an opportunity to have a say about the services they would like it to deliver.