This is what I saw shortly after 4.35am, after the 7.1 earthquake on 4 September 2010. Victoria Street, Christchurch.
And while the Central Library was closed, people made the most of the free wifi.
It was three years ago today, not long in the scheme of the things.
But doesn’t 3 September 2010 and before seem a world away.
More photos and stories:
- See more images in our Flickr set After the earthquake
- 4 September 2010 DigitalNZ set
- UC CEISMIC Earthquake Digital Archive
Our blog posts
- 4 September 2012: We woke up. 4.35am
- 4 September 2011: We are history – How earthquakes have connected us with the past and future
On the website