Christchurch – this week in history (24 June – 30 June)

photograph

June 24, 1981
First Metro Refuse transfer station (Sockburn) in operation.
June 25, 1934
Death of Harry Ell. The uncompleted Summit Road and Sign of the Takahe projects were taken over by his son.
June 25, 1941
German minelayer “Adjutant” lays mines in the approaches to Lyttelton Harbour. But this German claim is unsupported – no trace of the mines was ever found.
June 26, 1871
Christchurch Volunteer Police enrolled.
June 27, 1846
Canterbury’s first armed robbery – 3 men hold up and ransack the Greenwood brothers’ farm at Purau.
June 27, 1964
Large crowds for visit of Beatles pop group.
June 28, 1869
Velocipede (“boneshaker”) bicycle (probably New Zealand’s first) tried out on City streets by its maker, coachbuilder Henry Wagstaff.
photographJune 28, 1983
Author Margaret Mahy awarded Britain’s prestigious Carnegie Medal for her children’s book, “The Haunting”.
June 29, 1951
First regular South Island trans-Tasman flights begin from Melbourne to Christchurch.
June 29, 1953
Aviation pioneer Richard W. Pearse dies in Christchurch. Pearse made one of the world’s first powered flights on or about March 31, 1902 in South Canterbury. He moved to Christchurch in 1921, and worked on his astonishing “convertiplane” over many years.
June 30, 1849
Canterbury’s first “industrial action” – Maori road workers in Evans Pass (constructing a road across the Port Hills) go on strike as a reaction to verbal abuse and dismissals.
June 30, 1849
New Zealand Company buys the remaining French interests at Akaroa from the Nanto-Bordelaise Company.