- June 17, 1843
- John Deans lands sheep, cattle and horses at Lyttelton.
- June 18, 1949
- Announcement of decision to move Canterbury University campus to Ilam.
- June 18, 1975
- Record smog level – 3076 micrograms per cubic metre over 2 hour period during night. The introduction of domestic clean air zones has slightly alleviated this long standing city problem, but Christchurch’s air pollution remains New Zealand’s worst.
- June 20, 1928
- Canterbury Aero Club formed. The first pilot trained by the club was a woman, Aroha Clifford. She may have been New Zealand’s first woman pilot.
- June 21, 1851
- Christchurch Cricket Club formed.
- June 21, 1851
- Road from Christchurch to Riccarton completed.
- June 21, 1890
- Artist Petrus Van der Velden arrives and settles.
- June 21, 1897
- Huge celebrations for Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee include the official opening of Victoria Park on the Port Hills and the transformation of Market (Victoria) Square by the City Council and the newly formed Christchurch Beautifying Association. The square, once the commercial centre of Christchurch, had contained many early public buildings and services including a prison, immigration barracks, an animal pound and the first post office.
- June 22, 1954
- Pauline Parker and Juliet Hulme murder Parker’s mother in Victoria Park. Their subsequent trial was one of the most sensational in the city’s history.
- June 23, 1854
- Pioneer John Deans dies at Riccarton. The preservation of Deans Bush was one of his dying wishes.
17 June 2013
Christchurch – this week in history (17 June – 23 June)Posted by Marion under Christchurch, Christchurch and Canterbury, Heritage, History | Tags: Canterbury, Christchurch, chronology, History, this week in history |