Major Bunbury on HMS “Herald” visits Akaroa collecting signatures of Maori chiefs for the Treaty of Waitangi.
May 28, 1866
George Dobson (brother of Arthur Dudley Dobson) murdered by the Burgess and Kelly gang in the Southern Alps. The gang mistook him for a gold courier.
May 28, 1955
First parking meters installed.
May 29, 1926
New Zealand’s first sports broadcast – a rugby match from Lancaster Park. Commentator Allan Allardyce was soon to pioneer broadcasts of racing, cricket and hockey for station 3YA. He also gave live coverage of Kingsford-Smith’s landing at Wigram in 1928.
May 29, 1967
Opening of the new Bank of New Zealand building in Cathedral Square.
May 30, 1874
First rugby match played.
May 30, 1890
Richmond joins City.
May 30, 1912
First netball match in City.
First skirmish between the invading North Island Ngati Toa (led by Te Rauparaha) and the Ngai Tahu at Kaiapohia. Te Rauparaha plans revenge after 8 of his chiefs are killed.
Gebbie and Manson families establish their own farms. William Tod and family settle with Deans.
Ferrymead ferry service begins.
The Normal School (designed by Samuel Farr, and opened in April 1876) becomes New Zealand’s first teachers training college.
Woolston (now Skellerup Woolston) Brass Band formed.
Royal Exchange building (now the Regent Theatre) opens. The building boasted the city’s first passenger lift.
First electric street lights in operation.
Mrs A. Wells becomes Christchurch’s first woman City Councillor.
Vertical aerial photos taken of the complete city area for the City Council. This was probably the country’s first aerial mapping.
Air raid shelters dug in Cathedral Square.
New Zealand’s first television signals transmitted from experimental station ZL3XT at Canterbury University.
June 1, 1862
Hospital opens on site in Hagley Park. But only after the first vigorous “Hands off Hagley” protests by irate citizens.
June 1, 1961
Television transmission begins from CHTV 3, Christchurch.
June 2, 1902
Municipal refuse destructor in operation. The destructor chimney, by the present site of the MED, was a dominant city landmark for many years.