- May 13-15, 1920
- Visit of Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII).
- May 14, 1868
- “Lyttelton Times” publishes evening paper, the “Star”.
- May 14, 1908
- Municipal tepid baths in Manchester Street open. It was described as “the finest indoor swimming pool in Australasia”.
- May 14, 1947
- Mabel Howard (Sydenham) becomes Minister of Health, the country’s first woman Cabinet Minister.
- May 16, 1975
- Opening of Four Avenues, New Zealand’s first State alternative education school.
- May 18, 1881
- Christchurch Boys High School (designed by W.B. Armson) opens in Worcester Street. The school moved to the present Straven Road site in 1926, and the old building is now part of the Arts Centre.
- May 18, 1940
- Harewood Airport officially opens. It was soon to be taken over by the RNZAF for the duration of the war.
- More May events in our Christchurch chronology.
13 May 2013
Christchurch – this week in history (13 May – 19 May)Posted by Marion under Christchurch, Christchurch and Canterbury, Heritage, History, New Zealand | Tags: Canterbury, Christchurch, heritage, History, Marion, this week in history |