Dust off your Daleks and polish up your Pokemon – Armageddon is early this year (9 and 10 March 2013). Our household is full of very earnest discussions about what shade of grey is acceptable for which character, and whether international shipping can be relied upon to deliver the necessary in time for the big weekend. The girl-child is attempting two different cosplay costumes, one from the insanely popular Homestuck online comic series, and the other from something that I am not even beginning to understand. There’s body-paint involved, and horns made out of papier-mache, and that’s all I care to know, frankly.
If you or your dear ones want to join the madness this year, fear not – the library has a range of resources to help sort out those pesky costume issues, study up on pop culture and comics, or just embrace your inner fanboy/girl.
- Search the catalogue for books about making your own costume.
- Check out our huge range of graphic novels and comics, if you’re looking for inspiration.
- Read about other people’s interesting obsessions – collecting, gaming, cosplay …
- See how other people did it – there’s heaps of photos on our Flickr pages.
- Explore the Armageddon website, and see who this year’s guest stars are, plan your pillow-fighting and pizza-eating schedule, and start saving your pennies for those collectible figurines.
And if all else fails, and inspiration is still lacking, travel back in time and read our reports from previous years’ Armageddon visits.