The Plaza Theatre: Picturing Canterbury

Looking towards the south-west corner of Cathedral Square, Christchurch [1932]
From left: the Plaza theatre (originally the Strand theatre, built in 1917 in art nouveau style), Strand Lane, the women’s rest rooms shown under construction (the five-storey building opened 1 July 1932), with the central post office (opened 14 July 1879) on the right

The Canterbury Film Society has excellent information on the history of Christchurch cinemas. It includes a chronological list of cinemas.