Classical Sparks is now a Christchurch institution. As a celebration of summer and the joy of living in Christchurch it’s hard to beat. The coming together of people from all walks of life in a relaxed atmosphere, sitting or lying on the grass with picnics and children and enjoying the music – it has a charm all of its own. This is our community at its best (like shovelling liquefaction for your neighbours, but more fun).
This year it takes place on Sunday 5 February. They’re featuring some great music with a programme featuring top Australian opera singers Jud Arthur and Virgilio Marino and it includes, to name a just a few favourites:
First half (with links to the music in Naxos Music Library)
- The Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves from Nabucco (one of my favourites)
- The Swan, a sublime piece from the Carnival of Animals
- A bit of the very well known Mozart Symphony no. 40
- Bach’s lovely Air on a G String (of a violin)
- The irresistible Toreador Aria from Carmen
- The wild and exciting Sabre Dance by Khachaturian
- The opening of Also Sprach Zarathustra – otherwise known a the theme from 2001 a Space Odyssey
- Mozart’s ethereal Ave Verum Corpus
- The famous Duet from the Pearl Fishers by Bizet
- The Ride of the Valkyries which would be familiar to anyone who has seen Apocalypse Now
It should be a lovely evening of music, so see you there.