This information is sourced from Canterbury Earthquake website. If you know someone who may be eligible for a grant, please share this information with them.
To date, more than $19.2 million has been raised through the New Zealand Red Cross 2011 Earthquake Appeal. Grants released to date include an Emergency and Hardship Grant and a Bereavement Grant.
1. Emergency & Hardship Grant
Eligibility: People living in their homes without power or water or sewerage, or people forced to leave their home because of damage or because they have no water or power or sewerage.
- Emergency & Hardship Grant: $500 for single people (per household)
- Emergency & Hardship Grant: $1,000 for couples and families (per household)
2. Bereavement Grant
- Bereavement Grant: $10,000 for the next of kin of confirmed deceased.
People from overseas affected by the earthquake are eligible to apply for these grants.
How to Apply:
- Forms online at http://www.redcross.org.nz/
- By picking up an application form from a Red Cross service centre anywhere in New Zealand, WINZ and Ministry of Social Development service centres and recovery assistance centres located across Christchurch.
For any questions on the emergency grants, please call the dedicated helpline on 0800 754 726.
Grants will be electronically transferred into each recipient’s bank account once approved.
People in New Zealand can donate to the appeal via www.redcross.org.nz or make an automatic $20 donation by ringing 0900 733 27.
People can text a message of hope to 4419 to donate $3.