The church was consecrated on 27 February 1911. Money to build the church came from Sir John Hall, former prime minister of New Zealand.
The old church which was moved to make way for the new stone church. It is still standing today and is being used for worship until the newer church is restored. The photograph was taken on the occasion of Sir John Hall’s funeral in 1907. Children from Hororata School line the path.
The photographs are taken from the Weekly press and the Canterbury times between the 1860s and the 1920s. They have been produced as a joint project between Selwyn District Council and Christchurch City Libraries. They were photographed from the newspapers by Stephen Wright.