There is something about fairies, if you have a 6-year old daughter they are everywhere. Books about fairies are everywhere! To take just the the Rainbow Magic series – there are colour fairies, jewel fairies, animal fairies, dance fairies, ocean fairies, sporty fairies, fairies for the days of the week, holidays (including 5 devoted solely to Christmas) and even the weather – one suspects that they must be running out of ideas soon – surely! Series for children are not all bad – previous blogs here have discussed their role in encouraging early readers. I remember my first solo reading – Five go off in a Caravan. I pulled this from my mother’s hands to try to read by myself as I was so frustrated by her rationing of one chapter a day. Ignore the badly written prose, poor storyline and zero dimensional characters – getting kids hooked reading words is the goal that will lead them on to higher things.
However, at this stage – my daughter’s not reading the fairy stories – I am! Since my daughter’s primary judgement for good reading is based on how pink the cover is – sometimes I do get a reprieve. In addition to fairies, there are princesses and also ponies, and sometimes I am truly lucky and I get all three – Princess Evie’s Ponies – Silver the Magic Snow Pony – fortunately due to the wise judgment of library selectors not available at Christchurch City Libraries. I am afraid to say that I am not always the most patient of parents – some of these books I have found so truly dreadful, that despite protests and even tears, I am physically incapable of reading more than one page.
So what series are good to read to your 6 year old girl? Well, we have found some that we both enjoy:
- Grandpa Chatterji – a delightful series about a strange and mysterious grandfather from India who comes to stay.
- Ivy and Bean – Two friends who get up to mischievous pranks.
- Just Grace – Imagine being in a class with 4 other Graces.
- Tilly Beanie – Tilly has a great imagination and always wants to be someone she’s not.
- Katie – The Revolting bridesmaid – the girl who hates pink and “exquisite beading” has to be her sister’s bridesmaid.
- Daisy and the trouble with … – Daisy is a cheeky girl who is often a bit naughty and things go wrong and she gets into all sorts of predicaments.