One of these many resources is Music Online which brings together on a single cross-searchable platform, the entire suite of Alexander Street Press music products that we subscribe to. Music Online can potentially cross-search all of these or using the drop down box, any of these individual databases:
- American Song – an eclectic collection of music from America’s past and present. Songs from American Indians, slaves and singing cowboys! Content includes protest songs, folk, blues, Motown, funk and more….
- Classical Music Library – Tens of thousands of licensed recordings that users can listen to. The audio selections are cross referenced to a database of supplementary reference information. Hear the music and also understand what they are on about.
- Contemporary World Music – Global sounds? How about some Arab swing or Balkanic jazz? Perhaps the flamenco and a bit of Bollywood to have us dancing in the aisles.
- Jazz Music Library – An Alexander Street strength. Provides online listening to thousands of jazz artists, albums and genres. Listen to New Orleans Jazz, Big Bands, Acid Jazz and more (am I the only one who knew nothing about Acid Jazz?)
- Smithsonian Global Sound for Libraries – A virtual encyclopaedia of the world’s musical and aural traditions. Includes more than 35,000 individual tracks of music, spoken word and natural and human made sounds.
This database complements our music collection such as the Naxos Music Library.
You can access these resources and many others from home with your library card number and PIN, or at our community libraries through our premium sites.
Enjoy New Zealand Music Month and “get down” with Christchurch City Libraries music resources!