11 September 1889
Cave and Maori artifacts discovered at Moncks Spur.
11 September 1928
Kingsford-Smith and his crew (Ulm, Litchfield and McWilliams) land at Wigram in “Southern Cross” after the first trans-Tasman flight. A crowd of 30,000, alerted by all-night radio broadcasts, had gathered at the airfield.
12 September 1910
G.W. Skellerup founds Para Rubber Company, New Zealand’s first retail rubber goods business at 175 Manchester Street. Christchurch soon became the centre of the rubber industry in New Zealand.
14 September 1976
Inter-island ferry service from Lyttelton ends with the last sailing of the “Rangatira”.
14 September 1985
Canterbury loses Ranfurly Shield to Auckland after a 3 year reign. Final score 28-23.
16 September 1864
Opening of second Town Hall, built of stone next to the first hall in High Street.
This photo shows the old town halls, High Street, Christchurch [between 1864 and 1882]